Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fabric Flower with Petals

As you will see in a few days, I have been busy making hair bows. This one I really like. I saw a purse in a sales magazine with this cute fabric flower on it. So I decided I would try to make it. It is a little more involved than the yo-yo flowers and other fabric flowers, but its worth it!

Start out by cutting out rectangles of your fabric. I cut out 1 1/4 x 3. I ended up cutting off some of the length and next time I will make it wider. It's all personal preference; whatever you choose can't be wrong. I started out with five strips, but I ended up needing two more.


Fold the fabric in half with the short sides together and sew around three sides, leaving the cut edges open for turning. Make sure you back-stitch so it won't unravel. Trim the edges.


Turn the petal right side out. Start a running stitch along the cut edge. The smaller your stitches the more gathered it will be.


Then continue to make the remaining petals and stitch them together like so:


When you get your desired amount of petals, stitch together the first and last petal. Trim any frays that you might have. Don't cut the thread yet.

At this point you can either sew or hot glue a button on, or add another fabric flower. I chose to add a yo-yo. With the remaining thread I attached the yo-yo. Then I hot glued the flower to a ribbon covered hair clip. That's it! I think it's adorable and I can't wait to see it in my niece's hair! I hope you enjoy and I hope it inspires you!

4 comments:

Becca said...

This is adorable ! I love fabric flowers! WAy to go!

Ashley said...

super cute! I can't wait to try this out!

Becky said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Zarinaia said...

Thanks for your tut! I've linked it on my blog.
Eleonora