Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rain, Rain

Wow! It has been raining non-stop today. And Monday was the same. I am not complaining; I am so thankful for it. It has been so dry here lately. We really need it. Even though it has been raining, it has been such a pretty day. Sort of bright and cheery. And even getting out in the rain today hasn't been a hindrance. It has been a nice change of pace from the hot, muggy weather we have been having.
Today reminds me of a similar day. I was visiting my sister when she had her last baby, Abby. One day it was raining and had been all day. The older kids were getting stir crazy from being inside so we decided to go outside and play in the rain. They had so much fun running and driving tractors through the puddles. That is one of my favorite memories. Hannah who didn't like to get dirty was soaked and was screaming with laughter running through the puddles. Manny and Hannah were making mud patties. They had so much fun playing with their ordinary toys, but in a whole new way.

Rain can often be such a burden sometimes. We have to deal with getting wet while getting in and out of our cars. And even though we have an umbrella, getting in the car and collapsing the umbrella while not getting wet is a trick I have not mastered! Then we have to deal with wet shoes and tracking in leaves and water into the house. I think you get the picture. But rain is a necessity for life. We need it, the Earth needs it.

Thinking about that day reminds me to appreciate even the most inconvenient situations. The rain was a burden that day. We couldn't go out for a walk around the block or play on the swing set without the obvious happening, getting wet. So we decided to take what we were given and make the most of it. There was no lightening so playing in the rain was harmless. Even though we had to get the kids inside and in the bathtub while they were strongly protesting it was all worth it. I will always be reminded to make the most out of every moment, every situation, because you never know when one of the variables in the equation will change.
I would love to run through the puddles again with Hannah, but that will have to wait until a later time. Who knows, she might be running through mud puddles now, but in a much better place.
I hope you are able to find joy in un-enjoyable situations. I know I find great pleasure in days like today.

Well, this is not how I envisioned this post going. I was planning on showing pictures of the house. Since this post has turned out to be pretty long, I will post house pictures later.

I hope you all have a great day. Enjoy the rain!

No comments: